Thursday, September 11, 2008

Cassell's Burger Buffet

Right smack in the middle of kimchi and bulgogi paradise of Koreatown is an easy to miss place, Cassell's Burger. It's also easy to miss that the "Hamburger" sign painted on the window is missing an "R".



Inside is a cafeteria style line where you order by the number and how you want you burger cooked, where "23 medium" means you'll be getting a 1/3 pounder cheeseburger cooked medium in a monstrous double broiler. 33 is an upgrade to a 2/3 pounder.


You then go through the "buffet" line to add your condiments of choice: ketchup, mayo, mustard, thousand island dressing, Roquefort dressing, pickle relish and slices, onion, beefsteak tomato, and lettuce. There's also some potato salad, cottage cheese, pineapple chunks, and pear halves for sides. It's all about customizing.



Kind of sloppy but I made it stacked and fully dressed. The beef patty is ground fresh daily using Prime USDA beef. The mayonnaise and salad dressings are made in-house. The burger is delicious.


The Cheese burger, fries, and medium drink set me back $11 and change. If I had a Cassell's 23 Medium in my left hand and an In-n-Out Cheeseburger animal-style in my right hand and I could only keep one, I will gladly hand you my left hand even if it's double the price. You can't really compare both, it's a matter of preference.

I guess the whole appeal of Cassell's Burger is that it reminds people of burgers that mom used to make elevated to the nth degree. Simple, straightforward, using great ingredients.

Cassell's Hamburgers
3266 W. Sixth St.
Los Angeles, CA 90020
(213) 480-8668

No comments: