Saturday, September 6, 2008

Bocadillos

I blame Anthony Bourdain for my recent quest for Spanish foods. His No Reservation show's recent episode on Spain was so good it makes you wanna pack up and leave the next day for Spain. And since reality hits you on the head going through the door. I digress. Scouring the web for places to go to for anything Spanish I came accross La Española in Harbor City.

The place is not difficult to locate but once you are there the warehouse-look makes you wonder if you are in the right place. See the small door in the picture go in there, at first I thought it was the backdoor or something.

Once in, you are in a treasure trove of anything Española, Bomba rice, Cabrales cheese, Rioja wine, Chorizos, Jamons and even Paella pans. Like a kid in a candy store.




After picking up a few items, I asked if they could make me a Bocadillo $5.49, a Spanish sandwich made with Jamon Serrano, Manchego Cheese (sheep), dry cured sausage, roasted piquillo peppers, drizzled with some olive oil in a toasted bread. And to wash it all down I had some Spanish beer, Estrella Galicia Cerveza $1.75.


The Bocadillo came with a side of preserved olives, garlics, peppers, and what looks to me like slices of gherkins. I took my food to a covered patio on the side of the building with tables and chairs.



The sandwich was absolutely delicious, the crunchy bread, the chewiness and smoky salty goodness of the Jamon Serrano, and the manchego cheese added a wonderful aroma. The preserved olive, garlic, and pepper were soaked in olive oil and pimienton, yum.



The Estrella Galicia beer was a light pilsiner they kept in the freezer next to the cheeses, so it was refreshingly cold for a hot day. There was nothing extraordinary about this beer. It complimented the Bocadillo, the nice light crisp taste cuts through the robustness of the sandwich.

This will easily become one of my favorite sandwiches and guaranteed I'll be back for more.

La Espa
ñola
25020 Doble Ave.
Harbor City, CA 90710
(310) 539-0455

No comments: