Wednesday, November 19, 2008

All Porky Goodness


Named after the traditional Filipino hat, Salakot, is a Filipino restaurant located just outside of DTLA along Beverly blvd.  We saw the place driving along Beverly on our way to some other place after being turned down at Colori Kitchen in DTLA.   We decided to try the place.  It has it's own parking lot with ample space.  Inside is spacious with bright lighting and very nice paintings on the wall.  



Baked Mussles,  we had this for starters, the mussels weren't quite fresh, I think they used the frozen on a half shell stuff.  


Dinugoan,  pork cooked in blood,  traditionally the dish is cooked with the entrails, this however, they only used deep fried pork meat with the skin on.   This was a delightful surprise and spin on the dish.  I enjoyed the crunchy pork skin bathed in the creamy blood sauce.  This was my favorite dish of the night.



Sizzling Sisig,  traditionally the dish is made from parts of the pig's head with a spicy, salty, and vinegary taste.  This was made from pork belly.  It was missing the gelatinous texture that the pig's head brought to the dish, and I didn't think it was spicy nor vinegary enough.  It wasn't even sizzling when they brought it to the table.  I didn't like it.



Inihaw na Liempo,  grilled pork belly and ribs,  this is delicious, smoky, salty, with sweet caramelization, dipped in some garlic vinegar, yummy.



Crispy Pata , deep fried pig knuckes,  this was done to perfection ,  I love the crunchy pork skin with the contrasting sticky almost melted soft tendons beneath, dipped in the garlic soy sauce.  After this dish, I think I could feel my heart beating to rally my cholesterol level higher.

Talking to the owner during dinner, we were surprised to find out that it was their opening day. Hey! for a change, I get to blog first about a restaurant.   I squirmed though when he proudly stated turning the second floor into a karaoke.  All in all we spent about $ 58.00 for everything including rice and drinks but before tips.   I would go back to this place, specially for the Dinugoan and before he gets that karaoke going.

Salakot
2122 Beverly Blvd., 
Los Angeles, CA 90057
(213) 483-0303

2 comments:

jsatorre said...

nothing like blood pressure pumping Filipino food!!! yum!

jepot said...

Oh yeah! I just wished they made better sisig.